Tuesday, December 31, 2013

What about a transplant?

I think this is the most common question I hear from people who are curious about my progress, so I will go ahead and put the information here. 

I don't have insurance until January 1st, and you can't get moving in the direction of transplant until you have insurance in place.  This is primarily because the drugs you need to take for the rest of your life after a transplant are super expensive ($1,500/month expensive), so they don't want to give away a kidney to someone who can't afford the meds to maintain it.

My "Obamacare" insurance starts January 1st (tomorrow), but I'm not exactly sure yet what that covers.  We will figure this out as we go along.  I have a wonderful social worker who is helping me with all of these things.  Also- on January 6th, I have an appointment to officially apply for Medicare.  I am hoping that it begins shortly after that since what I am really leaning on for my bills is the hope that Medicare will apply retroactively for me. 

So I am currently nowhere as far as transplants go, but I will be moving in that direction soon.  Also, as much as I appreciate the heartfelt offers, I'm not really looking for people to offer their kidneys to me at this point.  My family will be tested when we are ready, and we will go from there.  I'll be sure to keep up with posting though so people can have an idea of where I am in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment