Wednesday, December 18, 2013

PD port

Monday I had a procedure to insert my Peritoneal Dialysis port.  This one is in my stomach, and it is only one plastic tube instead of two.  It will allow me to do dialysis overnight at home.  The current count of tubes running out of my body is now up to 3.  Hopefully my PD port will heal soon though, and I will be able to get rid of the Hemodialysis port in my chest- which is still making bras really complicated for me. 

For the PD port on Monday, they cut 2 small holes in my stomach- one that is going to heal completely and was just used to guide the tube into my peritoneal cavity, and the other through which the plastic tube exits my body.  The procedure went really well, and I was sent home shortly after.  Right now I am still hobbling around though because those two holes went through my abdominal muscles, and (as I now know for a fact) those muscles are used for EVERYTHING.  It has only been two days, but I do feel an improvement.  I keep tricking myself into thinking things are not that big of a deal, so I need to cancel some plans I made this week thinking 'Oh, they're just going to slide a plastic tube into me.  I will be just fine to drive and wait tables and run a marathon in two days.'  I think right now the hardest thing for me is to realize that all these things are really doing a number on my body- and that's okay- I just have to be prepared to do nothing for a little longer. 

Eric pointed out last night that this is the last surgery until transplant- so I won't have to feel better then immediately get cut into again this time.  That's a good feeling...Then I remembered that they will have to take the hemodialysis catheter out and that will be another procedure.  I am really almost there though, and I will keep on sitting here in a haze of painkillers until I can move. 

No comments:

Post a Comment