Monday, December 2, 2013

Stop poking me!

It's Monday morning now (I have been in the hospital for a week).  I have received at least 17 needle sticks- more if you include the numbing needles for my biopsy and catheter...I really hate needles. 

After I was here a few days, they did a biopsy of my kidney (Friday).  The results were rushed, so we received them Saturday evening.  The sample had been sent out for analysis to a lab in Alabama. Dr. Rose called us Saturday with the news.  My kidneys are 60-80% fibrosis (scarred up), which means that it is highly unlikely they will start functioning enough to filter my blood again.  I do not have a secondary issues, at least.  The cause of my kidney failure is just my IGA Nephropathy increasing in unheard of strides (yup, I'm always a freak of nature- a fascination of medical science).  Ultimately this means I will be on dialysis until I can get a kidney transplant-not the news I was hoping for, but at least there isn't a larger system-wide issue.  Apparently I am healthy aside from my kidneys.

I did more dialysis on Saturday, and we started to talk about going home to NC again.  I have been getting tired of feeling generally fine, but not allowed to leave the hospital.  I might have to do a hospital transfer (they take me to NC on a helicopter).  This makes me crazy because a- I don't want to get into a helicopter, and b- I FEEL FINE!  I just want to take a plane home- to my house.  I can go to Duke for dialysis, but I want to go home.  I'm learning that there are administrative issues with this, and that I will need to be an inpatient at Duke at least briefly in order to gain assistance applying for MA. 

I've been told that I will get to leave today, but we still have to coordinate with Dr. Middleton- my Dr. at Duke- to make sure there is space for me there.  I still don't know if I can take the plane or if I will be stuck on a helicopter.  I have a sneaking suspicion that they won't let me go home today, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.  No one seems to know what's going on right now.  One nurse came in and took my blood sugar- another poke- but I don't know why. It has been normal, and I'm not diabetic so what's with the useless extra needle sticks!?

Right now I'm waiting for them to take me to a surgical room to put in a more permanent catheter because the one in my neck is only temporary (and it's starting to really irritate me).

No comments:

Post a Comment