Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Tunneled catheter

Yesterday I got a more permanent catheter inside my chest.  It's pretty painful, but it should heal soon.  I'm on dialysis right now, then I can collect my things (and tons of meds) and go home!  I can't wait to get out of here, and I am so excited to see my puppy dog!  I have a lot of work to do once I get home- I still have 2 final papers to write for class, but first I need to sanitize my dirty old house as much as I can because the last thing I can handle right now is an infection. I think we will look at new places tomorrow, which means I will have to start packing too.

I have to be on a special diet to prevent too many toxins in my blood- low salt, potassium, phosphates, and protein.  I have had a few lovely friends offer to bring me food, but I'm not even sure what I'm allowed to eat right now.  We are hoping to get hooked up with a nutritionist at Duke to help me plan out meals. 

I really can't wait to wash my hair.  I can't shower because of this catheter, but as soon as I get home, I am figuring out a way to wash this rat's nest on top of my head! I will have to talk to the Dr. soon about all the meds I will need to start taking.  In the meantime, I'm going to lay back down because that is the best way to make this tube in my chest hurt less.

No comments:

Post a Comment